On 11 – 13 June 2019 in Kokshetau, Akmola region, the Secretariat of the Convention of the Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) on Industrial accidents held an introductory workshop on the assessment within the UNECE project to strengthen the safety of mining operations, such as tailings in Central Asia. The event was attended by representatives of state bodies of industrial development and industrial security in Central Asia, Committee for Emergency Situations of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Republic of Kazakhstan, ecology and environmental experts, Dnieper State Technical University (Ukraine), participants of the project, the UNECE Convention on Industrial Accidents, as well as employees of the Center.
Objectives of the event:
- To acquaint Kazakhstani and Tajik participants with guidelines and good practices of UNECE to ensure the operational safety of tailings and appropriate methodology;
- Increase knowledge of participants in the field of reducing the risks associated with water from the tailings, in particular by supporting them in the use of a methodology of tailings checklist during the training at the facility;
- Start the UNECE project to strengthen the safety of mining operations, such as tailings in Tajikistan and Central Asia, funded by Switzerland;
- Provide support to Kazakhstan and Tajikistan in the implementation of recommendations arising from the environmental performance reviews of the UNECE;
- Strengthen the implementation of the UNECE Convention on the Transboundary Effects of Industrial Accidents and the UNECE Convention on the Protection and Use of Transboundary Watercourses and International Lakes;
- Review the progress made in the implementation of the UNECE project to strengthen the safety of mining operations, such as tailings in Kazakhstan and Central Asia;
- Provide a forum for discussion of issues by national authorities to improve their institutional coordination in the area of tailings security – among themselves, with the operators and between countries;
- Identify the next steps for the implementation of the UNECE projects to strengthen the security of mining operations, such as tailings in Kazakhstan and Tajikistan, including in view of the sub-regional workshop in the autumn of 2019.
The next day, on June 12, participants of the seminar in order to review the educational facility visited JSC «Altyntau Kokshetau». Representatives of JSC «Altyntau Kokshetau» made a presentation of the tailings.
During the introductory seminar Center acquainted with the project of the UNECE to strengthen the security of mining operations, such as tailings in Central Asia, its common aims and objectives, also Center presented its activities and work in Central Asia.