As part of the previously signed agreement on cooperation and mutual understanding, the Center for Emergency Situations and Disaster Risk Reduction and Europe’s leading supplier of professional cartographic services MapAction conducted 8 trainings in two years on the use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) data and mapping for more than 160 employees of the authorized bodies of Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan.
Training was designed for use in the operation of authorized bodies in the field of emergency situations in their own procedures and focus on tried and tested technologies, easy to deploy almost in any organization with minimal changes in existing systems, only with access to a computer. The described technologies are available at low or no cost (other than the cost of computer equipment). Initially, the software and configuration settings for mapping systems only require Internet access.
· on 22 to 26 October 2018 at the Center’s premises for the employees of territorial divisions of the Committee for Emergency Situations of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Republic of Kazakhstan;
· on 10 to 14 December 2018 at the CMC of the Ministry of Emergency Situations of the Kyrgyz Republic for the staff of the territorial subdivisions of the Kyrgyz Ministry of Emergency Situations;
· on 13 to 17 May 2019 training held at the Kostanay regional DES, for the employees of DES of Kostanay, Akmola, North Kazakhstan regions and Kokshetau Technical Institute CoES MIA of RK;
· on 20 to 24 May 2019 training at CMC CoES for employees of CoES MIA RK, DES of the city Nur-Sultan and the DES of the Karaganda region;
· on 24 to 28 June 2019, at DES of East Kazakhstan region, for the employees of the Almaty DES, DES of the East Kazakhstan, Pavlodar and Almaty regions;
· on 1 to 5 July 2019 at DES of Atyrau region, for the employees of DES of Atyrau, Aktobe, Mangistau, and West Kazakhstan regions;
· on 19 to 23 August 2019 at the site of the Shymkent DES, for employees of the DES of Shymkent, Turkestan, Kyzylorda and Zhambyl regions;
· on 26 to 29 August 2019 training held in Osh at the CMC MES, for employees of the Ministry of Emergency Situations of the Kyrgyz Republic.
As a result of the conducted by the Center and MapAction training for Emergency authorities of Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan qualified experts in GIS management, mapping and working with data were trained that certainly qualitatively affects the emergency response teams in terms of reducing the time for the information processing, mapping and respectively optimal decision making on the allocation of manpower and resources needed for emergency management.
At this stage, the NGO MapAction reached an agreement for further capacity building of the staff of the Emergency authorized bodies of Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan, through the training of 29 employees at the Center’s premises in 2020 that presented the best results in learning and the ability to work with QGIS program.
Also, MapAction in cooperation with the Center is ready to hold similar training for emergency competent authorities of Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and Uzbekistan.