of the Center for Emergency Situations and Risk Reduction Disaster in Almaty
up to 2030
- General Provisions:
Natural disasters, accidents and disasters, many of which are now due to climate change are becoming more frequent and intense, which significantly hamper progress towards sustainable development.
The international community is committed to combine their efforts in the field of disaster risk reduction, prevention and liquidation of emergency situations based on further strengthening of bilateral, multilateral, regional and international cooperation and global partnership.
The region in which Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan are located, is subject to virtually all types of natural and man-made hazards, including earthquakes, floods, landslides, mudflows, avalanches, climatic deviations, drought, epidemic, dam breakouts and emissions of hazardous substances that can provoke a large-scale, cross-border disasters.
The Governments of the Republic of Kazakhstan and the Kyrgyz Republic (hereinafter – the Parties) being mindful of the danger posed by emergency situations, considering the need for concerted action in their prevention and elimination, recognizing that cooperation in this field will contribute to security and sustainable development, supporting the efforts of the UN and other international organizations to strengthen regional cooperation, based on the principles and priorities of the Hyogo and subsequent Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction, based on ratification of the intergovernmental Agreement by the parliaments of two states, established the Center for Emergency Situations and Disaster Risk Reduction in Almaty, Republic of Kazakhstan (hereinafter – Center).
In order to carry on the Center’s tasks, functions and powers in the area of providing effective mechanisms to mitigate the risks of disasters, emergencies and their consequences, to respond jointly by the Parties agreed measures, to stimulate regional and international cooperation, relying on universally recognized norms and principles of international law, cooperating and collaborating in a spirit of solidarity and equal partnership, Center developed these strategic directions (hereinafter – strategic directions).
- Legal basis:
- The Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan and the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic on the establishment of the Center for Emergency Situations and Disaster Risk Reduction and The Regulation on the Center for Emergency Situations and Disaster Risk Reduction dated to May 17, 2013.
- Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan and the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic on cooperation in the field of civil defense (protection), prevention and elimination of emergency situations dated to June 16, 2009.
- National legislation of the Parties’ states.
- International conventions, agreements, treaties, programs, standards, aimed at disaster risk reduction, prevention and liquidation of natural and man-made emergency situations by Parties’ states, including Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030, agreements of the World Humanitarian Summit and sustainable development goals 2030.
III. Strategic directions of the Center:
- Strengthening regional and international cooperation in the field of disaster risk reduction, prevention and liquidation of emergency situiations:
- Coordination and close cooperation with the competent authorities of the Parties and third parties;
- Strengthening cooperation and collaboration with government agencies, donor agencies, financial institutions, agencies of the United Nations Organization, the organization of the Red Cross and Red Crescent movements, academic, scientific and research institutions, private sector, media, other international, non-governmental organizations and interested parties;
- Strengthening joint coordinated activities of the competent authorities of the Parties and third parties based on understanding, identifying, evaluating, monitoring disaster risks factors and enhancing early warning systems;
- Assisting in development of regional systems for early warning and mutual notification of emergencies risk;
- Updating the assesments of underlying risk factors of large-scale, cross-border disasters at the regional level and identifying possible socio-economic consequences should they occur;
- Developing and strengthening national and regional platforms, forums and dialogues on disaster risk reduction, emergency management;
- Initiating, assisting in the development, adopting and implementing bilateral and multilateral agreements on cross-border cooperation in the field of disaster risk reduction and emergency response;
- Assisting in professional development of experts and specialists of Parties’ states, international and non-profit organizations, academic institutions and other stakeholders through special exercises, consultations, seminars, workshops, training courses and other relevant activities.
- Raising public safety and territories of the countries in the region by improving the organizational and legal framework, institutional framework, mechanisms, strategies, policies and risk management practices of disasters and emergencies:
- Developing and improving of the institutional framework, mechanisms, strategies, policies and risk management practices of disasters and emergencies based on assistancing in the implementation of inter-agency and international agreements, global program documents;
- Assisting in harmonization of the national legislation of the Parties in the field of disaster risk reduction and emergency situations based on the principles of human rights and gender perspectives, considering the interests of the most vulnerable population, including women, children and the elderly;
- Strengthening emergency management capacity at the regional level by studying and putting into practice the latest achievements of international organizations and government agencies of foreign countries and improving the exchange of best practices;
- Coordinating planning and conduct of joint activities in the field of development, improvement and strengthening the capacity of national and regional systems of risk management of disasters and emergencies;
- Assisting in the creation and development of modern national and regional information and communication systems for data acquisition and processing, information analysis, taking into account best international practices;
- Assisting in development, improvement and implementation of teaching and methodological materials, unified terminology, standardized forms and systems for data collection, processing, storage, protection, analysis and information exchange;
- Creating a Center’s data bank, contributing to the standardization of information and communication systems and databases of the crisis centers of competent authorities of states in the region, as well as establishing a regular mutual exchange of data;
- Facilitating implementation of international monitoring systems and networks for natural, man-made, environmental, climatic and other types of threats and potential emergency situations in the Parties’ states;
- Assisting in acceleration of public awareness in the region about the relationship between disasters risks and climate change, environmental degradation and migration to ensure further cross-sectoral focus in disaster risk reduction programs at the local, national and regional levels.
- Consolidation of efforts of all the interested parties and attraction of investments in the field of disaster risk reduction, prevention of emergency situations:
- Assisting states in the region in transition from practicing response to emergencies to practicing early warning and strengthening resilience to disaster risks, considering the objectives of ensuring citizens’ rights for good environment facilitating healthy life, the objectives of protection from emergency situations, particularly for the most vulnerable segments of the population, including women, children and the elderly;
- Consolidating joint efforts of all interested parties in planning and execution of measures in the field of disaster risk reduction and prevention of emergency situations by initiating, developing, promoting and participating in the implementation of national, interstate and international programs and projects;
- Assisting in attracting public and private investments, funds of donor agencies, financial institutions, international and non-profit organizations at the regional level to implement Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction 2015-2030, interagency and international, global-level documents in the field of disaster risk reduction and emergency prevention, sustainable development, adaptation to climate change, environmental security;
- Assisting in attraction of public and private investments to support the scientific and technical programs and projects of the Parties for the prevention, disasters risk assessment and analysis and investigation of causes and consequences of emergency situations especially of the large-scale and cross-border nature with the focus on the most vulnerable groups;
- Center periodically initiating, promoting and participating in local, national and regional-level risk assessment of different types of natural and man-made threats on the territory of the Parties’ and other countries.
- Strengthening preparedness for effective response to emergencies, carrying out rescue and humanitarian operations, reconstruction and rehabilitation:
- Creating a single registry of forces and means of the Parties to respond to large-scale and cross-border emergency emergencies;
- Participating in preparation and conduct of international exercises, rescue and humanitarian operations in the Parties’ territories and in other foreign countries, assisting in securing participation of forces and resources of the Parties;
- Promoting and upbuilding national and regional emergency reserve means and funds in order to enhance preparedness capacities to respond effectively, to conduct rescue and humanitarian operations under threat of and in case of occurrence of large-scale and cross-border disasters, including reconstruction and rehabilitation phase;
- Promoting and strengthening the regional coordination mechanism for emergency response in accordance with the interstate and international treaties, conventions, rules and procedures;
- Assisting in improving disaster preparedness capacity of governing authorities, means and forces to ensure effective response and implementation of “build back better” principle during reconstruction and rehabilitation;
- Assisting in the development of guidelines for the operational management to support governing authorities, means and forces of states and international communities in coordinated response actions to large-scale cross-border emergencies, conduct of rescue and humanitarian operations, recovery, rehabilitation and reconstruction based on international standards, international experience and best practices.
- Provision of phased institutional development and capacity building of the Center:
- Using the capacity of the Center developing and implementing measures to ensure the Center’s gradual institutional development and capacity building in order to strengthen regional and international collarobation and cooperation, to train experts and specialists, to implement of best practices in the field of disaster risk reduction, emergency management through cooperation with all interested parties to plan and carry out special exercises, conferences, boards, meetings, seminars, workshops, training courses and other activities;
- Carrying out organizational and practical measures aimed at increasing number of Center’s states – members, states or international organizations with an observer status at the Center;
- Developing contacts with interested parties for constant interchange of information in the field of disaster risk reduction, emergency management, between the Parties, the Parties and the Center, the Center and the observers, the Center and other interested parties via the Parties’ competent authorities;
- Developing Center’s cooperation with the competent authorities of the Parties, observers and the third parties to study the latest achievements and to share best practices in the field of disaster risk reduction;
- Creating a working group to establish a regional Science and Technology Council for Emergency Situations (STC ES) at the Center with the assistance of national and international specialists and experts in the field of seismic, environmental, fire, radiation, industrial, hydro-geological and safety other areas;
- Coordinating efforts to develop and establish early warning, mutual notification systems about occurrence of hazards and emergencies in order to timely inform the population based on studying international experience, attracting experts from Parties, experts from other countries and interested international and non-governmental organizations;
- Developing a dialogue and cooperation between academia and practitioners involved in disaster risk reduction, risk management and encouragement of partnership between the parties concerned, including participants involved in socio-economic aspects of disaster risk reduction, gender mainstreaming and human rights approaches to policy and development strategies;
- Creating and regularly updating the database of experts, voluntary organizations to involve them in the implementation of joint projects in the field of disaster risk reduction, prevention and liquidation of emergency situations;
- Creating and updating the Center’s pages in social networks to disseminate information on its activities, as well as on activities in the field of disaster risk reduction, prevention and liquidation of emergency situations;
- Developing Center’s website to be used as an information resource with regular information upload regarding the activities of the Center on civil protection system of the Parties, presence of emergency threats, warnings and information for people, international, non-governmental organizations and other stakeholders;
- Strengthening cooperation between experts in disaster management, as well as persons involved in management and planning of activities within the different sectors and different regions, as well as creating or strengthening procedures using available expertise to prepare for compiling national and local disaster risk reduction and emergency management plans with a gender approach by relevant organizations;
- Increasing Center’s technical capacity in terms of equiping it with multifunctional systems with the technology of modeling and simulation, developing solutions and recommendations for elimination of any emergencies, as well as technology of communicating with the Parties’ States and other competent authorities, including integration of the systems into the existing international system;
- Increasing the qualification of experts and specialists of the Center to ensure the Center’s ability to determine the problems and ways to solve them, to develop project proposals, to raise funds for project implementation;
- Studying and implementing into the Center’s operation the best experience and practices of other regional centers, UN agencies and other international and non-governmental organizations, academic institutions working in the field of disaster risk reduction, prevention and liquidation of emergency situations.
- The mechanism for implementing the strategic directions of the Center:
- Development and implementation of (phased) Plans of main activities of the Center to implement joint coordinated activities with the States Parties, observers, international and non-profit organizations, other stakeholders in the field of disaster risk reduction, prevention and liquidation of emergency situations.
- Under the Plans of main activities of the Center of organizational and practical measures are implemented by contributions from Parties, donor funds, grant aid of international organizations, donations of legal entities and individuals, as well as other sources not contradicting the national legislation of the Parties through initiation, development, promotion and implementation of joint interstate and international programs and projects in the field of disaster risk reduction, prevention and liquidation of emergency situations.
- Parties’ states shall assist in resolving issues related to the implementation of the strategic directions of the Center’s activities and the Plans of main activities.
- These strategic directions of the Center may be amended and supplemented with approval by the Decision of Center’s Council.